Friday, May 8, 2009

Air and Lockdown




Alan Ferguson (Quickdraw Animation Society's Digital Production Coordinator) and I made Air in 2007. Alan had been working on a CG eye for a project with a sculptor and I had been playing with Photoshop filter treatments of time lapse clouds. He suggested we combine the two ideas and see where the comibination would take us.

Air is the result; it plays back on a miniature screen in the sculpture's eye, and was screened in Quickdraw's 2007 GIRAF Animation Festival. We didn't enter it in other festivals, though we should have. I have to get into the habit of exploiting the things I do for all they're worth...

And speaking of which - I've been accepted into the QAS lockdown. I'm "Team Head", one of 13 teams and 26 people participating. The exploitation: I want to blow people away with what I do using the helper programs I wrote, to get them excited and start buying my software. The team list is:

-TOUCHING STRANGERS
-TROUBLE AND THE LONELY ONES
-LAMP
-Team SASHKO
-Helen+Talsa+Maria
-YELLOW RABBIT
-TRANNIS
-SHYRA DE SOUZA
-TEAM AHEAD
-Jordan+Paris
-MEGS, BENNY & JUNE
-JOHN LENNON IN SPACE
-SQUARE FRAME RULE

Alan and Dave Ratzlaff (QAS's Film Production Coordinator) say that the lockdown is going to pretty much max out Quickdraw's production spaces. It'll be a great weekend - busy, crowded, maybe noisy. I'll be animating Photoshop style and using some of what I've learned about Photoshop filters in the animation. I'll post my movie here after the premiere at the post-lockdown party!